A simple, one page outline that you can utilize to complete a rough draft of your business plan. The SBDC will help you craft a document that presents your company in the best light for lenders, investors, employees and serve as a tool for managing the business.
Business Plan Guide
A more detailed guide to developing a concrete business plan that you can utilize to complete a draft of your business plan.
Financial Projections Spreadsheet
A linked worksheet that will allow you to complete the Financials section of your business plan. It can also be used standalone to create financial projections. This template includes financial assumptions, sources and uses of funds, profit and loss statement, cash flow and balance sheet. It can be used in support of your loan application. Don’t forget to download the projections step-by-step guide.
Business startup checklist
A checklist of the basic areas you need to cover before opening your business.
One of the first challenges ever business faces is deciding on the business name. Your business name has numerous branding and marketing implications, but before you can select a business name you must make sure it isn’t already taken. This search provides access to domestic stock, domestic nonprofit and qualified foreign corporations, limited liability company and limited partnership information of record with the California Secretary of State.
CalGold (www.CalGold.ca.gov) is one of the most popular resources to identify the federal, state and local agencies that your business will need to work with in order to operate a business in cities throughout California. Just enter your zip code and industry NAICS code and you’re off.
Going after a loan? This document outlines six essential areas a lending institution will consider and helps business owners know what to expect before applying for a business loan.
Business Loan Documents Checklist
While every loan program has specific forms you need to fill out and documents you need to submit, you will likely need to submit much of the same information for different loan packages. Before you start applying for loans, you should get some basic documentation together.
Quick Reference Guide to SBA Loan Guarantee Programs (Updated January 2014)
This document is a great at-a-glance resource that summarizes SBA guarantee loan programs by loan sizes, use of proceeds, maturity, interest rates, and fees.
Every market has competitors, both direct and indirect. This tool will help you organize and analyze your company’s competitive position based upon things that matter to your target customers.
Major Media Types
A good comparison of the advantages and limitations of the major media types available to market your business.
A great monthly advertising budget template that you can drop right into your word document business plan.
This document summarizes common federal, state and local certification criteria, certification lengths, certifying agencies, and associated fees.
Federal Bid Opportunities
The FedBizOpps web site provides assistance by e-mail and a toll-free helpline and has been designated as the single source for federal government procurement opportunities that exceed $25,000.
California Department of General Services
The Department of General Services (DGS) serves as business manager for the state of California. General Services helps to better serve the public by providing a variety of services to state agencies through procurement and acquisition solutions, real estate management and design, environmentally friendly transportation, professional printing, design and Web services, and funding for the creation and construction of safe schools.8(a) Business Development Programhelps small, disadvantaged businesses compete in the marketplace.HUBZone Programhelps small businesses in historically underutilized urban and rural business zone communities gain preferential access to federal procurement opportunities.Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Businessesprovides procuring agencies with the authority to set acquisitions aside for exclusive competition among service-disabled veteran-owned small business concerns.Small Disadvantaged Businesses Firms that are considered to be small disadvantaged businesses can compete for certain federal contracting opportunities.Women-Owned Small Businesses Federal Contract program authorizes contracting officers to set aside certain federal contracts for eligible women-owned small businesses.
A great document provided by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office outlining the steps necessary to obtain a non-provisional (utility) patent.
Partnership Agreement Example
A Partnership Agreement helps to avoid conflict which may arise between the partners. This is an example of a partnership agreement, but generally speaking a partnership agreement will cover aspects of the agreement such as, the primary business of the partnership, details of the Partners, roles and responsibilities, voting rights, capital contributions, ownership shares, profit and loss distributions, financial reporting/taxation issues, transfer rights, termination and ultimately how disputes will be handled.
Business Lease Checklist
A great checklist for any small business owner or entrepreneur outlining consideration before signing a commercial lease.
Listed below are some of the sites that we have found to have comprehensive, useful information for people interested in starting a business or in improving their existing businesses.Small Business Administration (SBA) Links
- Small Business Administration
- Federal Grant Resources
- SBA 8(a) Business Development Program
- FREE online Courses by the SBA
- US Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy
- SBDC Technology Assistance Program
- Centers for International Trade Development (CITDs)
- US Business Advisor
- US Census Information
- US Department of Labor
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- US Federal Trade Commission
- US Government Export Portal
- US Government’s Web Portal
- US Internal Revenue Service
- US Minority Business Development Agency
- US Patent & Trademark Office
- US Postal Service
- United States Department of the Treasury
- Social Security Administration
- United States Department of Homeland Security
- United States Department of Commerce
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission
- Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Codes
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Welcome to California
- California Franchise Tax Board
- California Employment Development Department
- California State Board of Equalization
- The State Bar of California
- California Secretary of State
- California Department of Consumer Affairs
- California Department of Corporations
- California Department of Motor Vehicles
- California Department of Insurance
- California Department of Real Estate
- California Department of Education
- California Department of Transportation
- California Public Utilities Commission
- California Department of Consumer Affairs Licensing and Permit Information
- California Department of Finance
- California Electronic Job Listing Service
- California Employment Development Department
- California Employment Training Panel
- Reporting Resources
Small Business Resources
- American Express Open for Business
- Better Business Bureau
- Business Credit Card Reviews and Comparisons
- Business Dictionary.com
- Business Owner’s Toolkit
- California Association of Business Brokers
- California Chamber of Commerce
- California Community Colleges Economic and Workforce Development Program
- California Employer Advisory Council
- California Healthcare Foundation
- Center for Business Planning
- Dun & Bradstreet
- Federal Technology Center
- Free HR forms, templates, job descriptions, etc.
- Hollywood Chamber of Commerce
- Intuit’s Learning Center for Small Business
- County of Los Angeles
- County of Los Angeles Registrar-Recorder
- County of Los Angeles Office of the Assessor
- Welcome to the City of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
- Microsoft Small Business
- Business.com Money Channel
- My Own Business
- National Association of Securities Dealers
- Resource Guide to Financial Opportunities with State Government
- Secure website hosting
- Small Business articles, resources, etc.
- Small Biz U
- Small Business Resources
- Superior Court of California
- Tax Help
- Turbo Tax- Starting a Business
- Tradeshow News Network
- United States Chamber of Commerce
- UCLA, Anderson School of Management
Center for International Business Education and Research
Franchise Tax Board
An excellent website for all things taxes for small businesses. Whether you are a budding entrepreneur, or an established business owner, you will find everything you need to start and manage your business venture.
IRS Video Portal
The IRS Video portal contains video and audio presentations on topics of interest to small businesses, individuals and tax professionals. You will find video clips of tax topics, and archived versions of live panel discussions and webinars.
IRS Resources for Small Business Owners
A great handout from the IRS with hyperlinked resources summarizing key small business tax issues and resources for small business owners.
Recommended Reading for Small Businesses